nanog mailing list archives

Re: De-bogonising 2a10::/12

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2020 16:18:47 -0500

On 1/10/20 2:49 PM, Baldur Norddahl wrote:
The only way for me to send out traffic to bogons is if one my peers announces a bogon prefix. Even if I did null route bogons, manually or through the use of the Cymru service, a peer could still announce a more specific and override that.

The idea isn't necessarily that you explicitly null-route them but rather that you block/ignore announcements of them on the assumption that malfeasants may be attepmting to squat on them or otherwise use them for some form of, well, malfeasance. As such, the filter you build isn't just e.g. "2a10::/12" (if indeed that range was to be considered a single bogon) but rather "2a10::/12 ge 12" which means you'd block more-specifics within that range, too.

Is there a way to use the RPKI system to ensure bogons are simply invalid? Seems much more effective to me.

Someone like ICANN or IANA could publish an ROA to a reserved ASN (or to no ASN - is that possible?) for all unallocated space or something of the like, I suppose.
--
Brandon Martin