nanog mailing list archives

Re: 5G roadblock: labor

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2020 16:17:24 +0200

On 31/Dec/19 00:42, Michael Thomas wrote:

Oh, I didn't know that. Seems like it's a relatively new thing. Seems
like they went to a lot of trouble to essentially do what voip does.
Or maybe not? I've been poking around trying figure out what's going
on under the hood with wifi calling, and it seems like they're just
tunneling PSTN bits over the internet. If true, that's certainly a
quick and dirty hack. Maybe they're doing something similar for volte?

As you connect to a wi-fi network, your mobile provider would have some
kind of 3GPP AAA implementation that authenticates your SIM card (which
could also support non-SIM devices), and then applies the policies for
your service profile.

Mark.