nanog mailing list archives

Re: Issue with Noction IRP default setting (Was: BGP route hijack by AS10990)

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2020 18:44:06 +0200

On 2/Aug/20 01:44, Ryan Hamel wrote:
Matt,

Why are you blaming the ease of use on the vendor, for the operators
lack of knowledge regarding BGP? That is like blaming a vehicle
manufacturer for a person pressing the gas pedal in a car and not
giving a toss about the rules of the road. The base foundation
regarding the rules of the road mostly apply the same for driving a
car, truck, bus, and semi/lorry truck. There is no excuse for
ignorance just because the user interface is different (web browser
vs. SSH client).

Actually, there is.

One has to actually acquire knowledge about not only driving a car, but
driving it in public. That knowledge is then validated by a
gubbermint-sanctioned driver's license test. If you fail, you aren't
allowed to drive. If you are caught driving without a driver's license,
you pay the penalty.

There is no requirement for a license in order to run power into a
router and hook it up to the Internet. This is the problem I have with
the current state of how we support BGP actors.

Adding a take on this, there are kids born after 9/11, with IP
allocations and ASNs experimenting in the DFZ right now. If they can
make it work, and not cause harm to other members in this community,
it clearly demonstrates a lack of knowledge, or honest human error
(which will never go away).

We should not be celebrating this.

Anything that can be used, can be misused. With that said, why
shouldn't ALL BGP software implementations encourage best practice?
They decided RPKI validation was a good thing.

The larger question is we should find a way to make our industry
genuinely qualification-based, and not "free for all that decides they
want to try it out".

I don't yet know how to do that, but we certainly need to start thinking
more seriously about it. Kids born after 9/11 successfully experimenting
on a global network is not where the bar ought to be.

Mark.