nanog mailing list archives

Re: Bottlenecks and link upgrades

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom com>
Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2020 16:50:49 +0200

On 15/Aug/20 10:47, Etienne-Victor Depasquale wrote:

I've seen the weekly profiles of traffic sourced from caches for the
major global services (video, social media, search and general) for a
specific metro area.

For all services, the weekly profile is a repetition of the daily
profile, within +/- 20%.
That is: the weekly profile is obtained from the daily profile
within +/- 20% of the average daily profile height.

Given this regularity, as suggested by Louie Lee, then it seems that
growth projections are meaningful.
That is, the weely profile data, seem to provide a sound empirical
basis for link upgrades.

Since I'm not an operator, my comments need to be sprinkled with a
pinch of salt :)

Provided your NMS has been stable over any period of time, you can
extract historical data over 1 year or more and see how linearly things
grew.

It's difficult to sometimes see the growth rate when you are close to
the daily action.

Mark.