nanog mailing list archives

Re: Has virtualization become obsolete in 5G?

From: sronan () ronan-online com
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2020 08:40:40 -0400

I can promise 100% that in LARGE US 5G carriers this is exactly what is happening. Virtual CU’s and DU’s, running on
traditional virtualization platforms and in containers.

An entire multi-vendor containerized 5G which replaces the 4G EPC is also in testing, and close to production
deployment.

The only non-virtualized devices in the RAN network would be the Radio Units (RU).