nanog mailing list archives

Re: Request comment: list of IPs to block outbound

From: Lukas Tribus <lists () ltri eu>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 14:22:36 +0200

Hello,

Is this deployed like this in a production transit network? How does
this network handle a failure like in example 2? How does it
downstream customers handle the race conditions like in example 1?

Yes, I've ran BGP prefix-list == firewall filter (same prefix-list
verbatim referred in BGP and Firewall) for all transit customers in
one network for +decade. Few problems were had, the majority of
customers were happy after explaining them logic behind it. But this
was tier2 in Europe, data quality is high in Europe compared to other
markets, so it doesn't communicate much of global state of affairs. I
would not feel comfortable doing something like this in Tier1 for
US+Asia markets.

Ok, that is a very different message than what I interpreted from your
initial post about this: just enable it, it's free, nothing will
happen and your customers won't notice.

But there is also no particular reason why we couldn't get there, if
we as a community decided it is what we want, it would fix not just
unexpected BGP filter outages but also several dos and security
issues, due to killing spoofing. It would give us incentive to do BGP
filtering properly.

I agree this is something that should to be discussed, but to get
there it's probably a very long road. Just look at the sorry state of
BGP filtering itself. And this requires even more precision,
automation,carefulness and *process changes*.

I just want to emphasize that when I buy IP Transit and my provider
does this *without telling me beforehand*, I will be very surprised
and very unhappy (as I'm probably discovering this configuration
because of a partial outage).

Lukas