nanog mailing list archives

Re: Comcast outages continue even in areas with PG&E power restored

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2019 17:14:58 -0400

On Oct 11, 2019, at 9:43 PM, Matt Hoppes <mattlists () rivervalleyinternet net> wrote:

And this is why the distributed nature of small node’s is detrimental in an extended power outage.

There is no practical way to back them up with power for an extended period of time.

This is why I’m concerned about a future with micro-cell sites, we will have a few fortresses with cell service but the
day-to-day service won’t look anything like the outage service and is likely to fail catastrophically as a result.

- jared