nanog mailing list archives

Re: This DNS over HTTP thing

From: "Jay R. Ashworth" <jra () baylink com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2019 19:22:31 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephane Bortzmeyer" <bortzmeyer () nic fr>
To: "Jeroen Massar" <jeroen () massar ch>

While the 'connection to the recursor' is 'encrypted', the recursor
is still in clear text... one just moves who can see what you are
doing with this.

As with any cryptographic protocol. Same thing with VPNs, SSH and
whatever: the remote end can see what you do. What's your point?

I'm still assimilating this, but based on what I've read this half hour,
his point is that "*it's none of Alphabet's damn business* where I go that
isn't Google".

I concur.

I see no reasonable justification for this from a network engineering
standpoint, and I'll be stomping on it wherever necessary.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth                  Baylink                       jra () baylink com