nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Pain Experiment

From: William Herrin <bill () herrin us>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2019 17:07:20 -0700

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 3:32 PM Michel Py <michel.py () tsisemi com> wrote:
Michel Py wrote :
When did you write this ? I read it before, just can't remember how
long ago.

William Herrin wrote :
2007. Half of IPv6's lifetime ago. It came out of an ARIN PPML thread
titled "The myth of IPv6-IPv4 interoperation."
On one side of the argument, folks saying that the need to manage two
configurations impairs IPv6's deployment.
On the other, an individual  whose thesis was the IPv6 could not have
been designed to be backwards compatible
with IPv4 in a way that required no new configuration, just
incremental, backward-compatible software upgrades.

Why did you choose this route, instead of encapsulating the packet with
the extended address into an IPv4 packet ?

I was out to prove a point. I needed a technique that, at least in theory,
would start working as a result of software upgrades alone, needing no
configuration changes or other operator intervention. If I couldn't do
that, my debate opponent was right -- a greenfield approach to IPv6 made
more sense despite the deployment challenge.

Map-encap, where you select a decapsulator (consult the map) and then send
a tunneled packet (encapsulated) does some cool stuff, but it's a pretty
significant change to the network architecture. Definitely not
configuration-free.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--