nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 on mobile networks, was Update to BCP-38?

From: "Mark Delany" <k3f () november emu st>
Date: 4 Oct 2019 00:04:30 +0000

Yep I see this on AT&t's post paid network with my Pixel 3A XL as well, one
place I really noticed it causing issues is with Facebook and Instagram
where Facebook requires constant captions to view any Facebook links I
receive and embedded Instagram content in news articles and things of that
nature often failed load. It is very annoying.

Tmobile US, VZ, and Sprint all have IPv6, but only AT&T has this behavior
afaik.

HTTP proxies are used by some mobile carriers to down-scale media sent
thru their radio network to reduce bandwidth. They rationalise that,
e.g, a HD video can be down-scaled for a tiny screen with no real loss
of fidelity but a signficant reduction in bandwidth. Similar
strategies apply to almost all compressible media: mp3, jpegs, etc.

More often used outside the US as I recall but sounds like AT&T might
be doing something similar. You could try a mobile fetch of a known
media file via HTTP and HTTPS then compare them for possible insights
(make sure to use a mobile browser to avoid browser-detects).

Such proxies are sometimes used for carrier ad-insertion as well so
one presumes they detest the widespread switch to HTTPS for at least
two reasons.

Mark.