nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 Thought Experiment

From: Martin Hannigan <hannigan () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2019 19:10:20 -0400

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 18:59 Owen DeLong <owen () delong com> wrote:

On Oct 2, 2019, at 09:33 , Antonios Chariton <daknob.mac () gmail com>
wrote:

Dear list,
First of all, let me apologize if this post is not allowed by the list.
To my best interpretation of the guidelines [1] it is allowed, but may be
in a gray area due to rule #7.

I would like to propose the following thought experiment about IPv6, and
I would like your opinion on what you believe would happen in such a case.
Feel free to reply on or off list.

What if, globally, and starting at January 1st, 2020, someone (imagine a
government or similar, but with global reach) imposed an IPv4 tax. For
every IPv4 address on the Global Internet Routing Table, you had to pay a
tax. Let’s assume that this can be imposed, must be paid, and cannot be
avoided using some loophole. Let’s say that this tax would be $2, and it
would double, every 3 or 6 months.

You’re talking about starting at $1536 per quarter for a /24 and doubling
that every three to 6 months?

Who, exactly gets all this money in your make money fast scheme here?

I’d say it would provide an impressive motivation to get rid of IPv4, but
I also would say that nobody would ever stand for such a tax.

What do you think would happen? Would it be the only way to reach 100%
IPv6 deployment, or even that wouldn’t be sufficient?

The internet’s version of the Boston Tea Party.

I can represent that. +1

Best,

Martin
Boston, USA