nanog mailing list archives

RE: 99% of HK internet traffic goes thru uni being fought over?

From: Pierfrancesco Caci <pf () tippete net>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 07:19:15 +0100

On 21 November 2019 23:48:33 CET, "Mahmutovic, Jas" <Jas.Mahmutovic () spirent com> wrote:
Excerpt from http://www.hkix.net/hkix/Presentation/forum20100129.pdf
(Page 3)

 Two Main Sites for resilience

•HKIX1: CUHK Campus in Shatin
•HKIX2: CITIC Tower in Central

 We are confident to say that because of HKIX, more than 99% intra--HK
Internet traffic is kept within HK

And this is a completely different thing than saying that 99% of HKG traffic passes through HKIX. Written this way it
may as well be true since it only means that it neatly complements whatever transit and private peering arrangements
the local operators have.
Exercise for the reader:
- find out who the local access providers are
- find where they peer and at what capacity
- find who gives them transit
- try some traceroutes

After this you'll concur with my original assessment about the nitrates content of the statement at subject

--
Pierfrancesco Caci