nanog mailing list archives

Re: Landing Stations used as datacenter

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 22:18:30 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019, Mehmet Akcin wrote:
I am not a big fan of CLS deployments. They have limited networks ( like
only carriers and no eyeballs) and very expensive connectivity (usually)

Sometimes there isn't a choice, i.e. islands or other constrained geographies. But I am not a fan of combining cable landing stations and datacenters/internet exchange points either.

I always want my IXPs and data centers to be connected to multiple cable systems, again maybe constrained by geographic concerns. I've also found the construction requirements of landing stations and data centers to be different. You almost always end up compromising one or the other when you combine them.

Nevertheless, there are some countries and islands with only one landing station, and not enough domestic eyeballs to support major infrastructure deployment. It might be better than nothing in those cases, but I would always prefer something else. None of those places would be in my top 20 list for deploying anything. Maybe if I needed to reach 120+ countries.