nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multihomed route visibility

From: Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2019 11:23:22 -0500

On Oct 31, 2019, at 3:12 PM, Boyle, Patrick via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

We are advertising the same prefix to ISP A & ISP B. When looking at various route servers across the world, I always
see the path through ISP A in the BGP table, but most don’t show a path at all through ISP B (some do, like Oregon
IX). I would expect any router with the full table to show both routes. Is this a consequence of how the route
servers are peered up? Are they only displaying the preferred path? ISP Issue? Am I missing something?

Any help would be appreciated.

You will generally only see the best path.  Most route servers don’t collect any backup paths the routers may have,
which could be quite extensive.

- Jared