nanog mailing list archives

Comcast: Xfinity Flex - No emergency alerts for cordcutters

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 18:55:35 -0400 (EDT)

In advance of Apple TV's big announcement next week, other folks are announcing their new streaming TV boxes. Comcast announced Xfinity Flex
today, a video streaming box.

Xfinity Flex looks and acts like a set-top box, but uses Internet, so it avoids all those pesky cable TV rules. But emergency alerts aren't mentioned, even in the fine print at the bottom of the page. I expect there are none.

I still hope a reporter asks Apple about emergency alerts at its big event
on Monday. Apple TV streaming may be awesome, as that tornado destroys your mobile trailer park.