nanog mailing list archives

Re: well-known Anycast prefixes

From: Bryan Holloway <bryan () shout net>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2019 12:39:01 -0500

On 3/21/19 11:52 AM, Ross Tajvar wrote:
Not all any-casted prefixes are DNS resolvers and not all DNS resolvers are anycasted. It sounds like you would be better served by a list of well-known DNS resolvers.

True on both counts, and that's why I said "help".

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 12:35 PM Bryan Holloway <bryan () shout net <mailto:bryan () shout net>> wrote:

    On 3/21/19 10:59 AM, Frank Habicht wrote:
     > Hi James,
     >
     > On 20/03/2019 21:05, James Shank wrote:
     >> I'm not clear on the use cases, though.  What are the imagined
    use cases?

     >> It might make sense to solve 'a method to request hot potato
    routing'
     >> as a separate problem.  (Along the lines of Damian's point.)
     >
     > my personal reason/motivation is this:
     > Years ago I noticed that my traffic to the "I" DNS root server was
     > traversing 4 continents. That's from Tanzania, East Africa.
     > Not having a local instance (back then), we naturally sent the
    traffic
     > to an upstream. That upstream happens to be in that club of those who
     > don't have transit providers (which probably doesn't really
    matter, but
     > means a "global" network).

    /snip

     > Greetings,
     > Frank

    I can think of another ...

    We rate-limit DNS from unknown quantities for reasons that should be
    obvious. We white-list traffic from known trusted (anycast) ones to
    prevent a DDoS attack from throttling legitimate queries. This would be
    a useful way to help auto-generate those ACLs.