nanog mailing list archives

RE: few big monolithic PEs vs many small PEs

From: <adamv0025 () netconsultings com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 13:03:55 +0100

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Sent: Friday, June 21, 2019 1:27 PM

On 21/Jun/19 10:32, adamv0025 () netconsultings com wrote:

So this particular case, the major POPs, is actually where we ran into the
problem of RE/RP becoming full (too many VRFs/Routes/BGP sessions)
halfway through the chassis.
Hence I'm considering whether it's actually better to go with multiple small
chassis and/or fixed form PEs in the rack as opposed to half/full rack chassis.

Are you saying that even the fastest and biggest control plane on the market
for your chassis is unable to support your requirements (assuming their cost
did not stop you from looking at them in the first place)?

I believe it would, for a time, but it would require SW upgrade -testing etc.. even newer SW in itself gave us better
resource management and performance optimizations.
However even with powerful CP and streamlined SW we'd be still just buying time while pushing the envelope.
Hence the decentralization at the edge seems like a natural strategy to exit the uroboros paradigm.

adam