nanog mailing list archives

Re: someone is using my AS number

From: Job Snijders <job () instituut net>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 11:24:32 -0400

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 11:18 Warren Kumari <warren () kumari net> wrote:

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 9:59 AM Joe Abley <jabley () hopcount ca> wrote:

Hey Joe,

On 12 Jun 2019, at 12:37, Joe Provo <nanog-post () rsuc gweep net> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 04:10:00PM +0000, David Guo via NANOG wrote:
Send abuse complaint to the upstreams

...and then name & shame publicly. AS-path forgery "for TE" was
never a good idea. Sharing the affected prefix[es]/path[s] would
be good.

I realise lots of people dislike AS_PATH stuffing with other peoples' AS
numbers and treat it as a form of hijacking.

Actually, I've been meaning to start a thread on this for a while.

I have an anycast prefix - at one location I'm a customer of a
customer of ISP_X &  ISP_Y & ISP_Z. Because ISP_X prefers customer
routes, any time a packet touches ISP_X, it goes to this location,
even though it is (severely) suboptimal -- things would be better if
ISP_X didn't accept this route in this location.

Now, the obvious answer of "well, just ask your provider in this
location to not announce it to ISP_X. That's what communities / the
telephone were invented for!" doesn't work for various (entirely
non-technical) reasons...

Other than doing path-poisoning can anyone think of a way to
accomplish what I want? (modulo the "just become a direct customer
instead of being a customer of a customer" or "disable that site", or
"convince the AS upstream of you to deploy communities / filters").
While icky, sometimes stuffing other people's AS in the path seems to
be the only solution...

Given the prevalence of peerlock-style filters at the transit-free club,
poisoning the path may result in a large outage for your prefix rather than
a clever optimization. Poisoning paths is bad for all parties involved.

Kind regards,

Job