nanog mailing list archives

RE: Service Provider NetFlow Collectors

From: Phil Lavin <phil.lavin () cloudcall com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 13:59:13 +0000

Doesn't Kentik cost like $2000 a month minimum?

We recently got a quote from Kentik and I fell off my chair. The annual cost was slightly more than the total upfront
purchase cost of the hardware they were collecting Flow from and was significantly more than the total cost each year
of running the network (when factoring in power, cross-connects, transit, etc.). I'm told that collecting Flow and BGP
from two routers which both do < 10Gbit is "~$32K USD per year for Kentik Pro" - even that feels disproportionally
expensive. It does look like an excellent product though I'm struggling to find a business case that justifies the cost
on relatively small (sub 2 Tbit/s) networks.