nanog mailing list archives

Re: End to End testing

From: James Bensley <jwbensley+nanog () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2019 12:12:41 +0000

On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 at 14:55, Fawcett, Nick via NANOG <nanog () nanog org> wrote:

Anyone have any suggestions on devices that I can put at two points in the network to test packet loss, latency,
jitter etc.  I was thinking of maybe engineering my own using a couple of pi’s,  but the downfall is they don’t have
SFP ports.  I’m looking for something that’s portable and easy to configure and drop in.  Thanks.

~Nick

Hi Nick,

We've had great success with Exfo testers. They can be expensive if
you're a small shop, but they really do "just work". I've used many
open source tools, none of them compare to the Exfo's we have.

Cheers,
James.