nanog mailing list archives

Re: Elephant in the room - Akamai

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2019 00:36:11 +0200

On 6/Dec/19 21:29, Keenan Tims wrote:

We're currently seeing about 80% of our AS20940 origin traffic coming
from transit, and I'm certain there's a significant additional amount
which is difficult to identify coming from on-net caches at our
upstream providers (though it appears from the thread that may be
reducing as well). Only about 20% is coming from peering where we have
significantly more capacity and lower costs. Whatever the algorithm is
doing, from my perspective it doesn't make a lot of sense and is
pretty frustrating, and I'm somewhat concerned about busting commits
and possibly running into congestion for the next big event that does
hit us, which would not be a problem if it were delivered over peering.

We've had 2 or 3 customers, in the last 3 months, complain about the
same thing - where they are seeing Akamai traffic drop over peering but
preferred via their transit service with us. We run a number of Akamai
AANP caches across our backbone.

We are working very closely with Akamai - and the customers - to resolve
this, I'll add.

Mark.