nanog mailing list archives

Re: syn flood attacks from NL-based netblocks

From: Töma Gavrichenkov <ximaera () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2019 21:51:34 +0300

On Mon, Aug 19, 2019, 9:27 PM Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks () vt edu>
wrote:

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 21:18:49 +0300, Töma Gavrichenkov said:

If you're doing load balancing for *outgoing* traffic — and in exactly
the
same manner as you do with incoming — then maybe.

On the other hand, your servers should probably be doing non-loadbalanced
outbound on a different IP address than the inbound load balancer, and
thus the
syn-ack should have zero trouble getting back to the box it thought the syn
came from.

Killing it with the packet rate in the process?

I assume this is about time to start drawing diagrams, otherwise we'll be
quickly lost in context.

--
Töma