nanog mailing list archives

Re: OffTopic: Telecom Fraud

From: Dovid Bender <dovid () telecurve com>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2019 16:23:23 -0400

On Tue, Apr 23, 2019 at 4:18 PM Paul Timmins <paul () telcodata us> wrote:

I guarantee you that if carriers were made civilly or criminally liable
for allowing robodialers to operate on their network, this sort of issue
would end practically overnight. Robodialer calling patterns are
obvious, and I'd imagine any tech could give you a criteria to search
for in the CDR streams to identify them and shut them off in hours.

Problem is, they're lucrative to provide services to, and there is
immunity on the carrier's part to these sorts of issues. SHAKEN/STIR
nonwithstanding (I don't think we'll see widespread adoption of this
within a decade, even with a government mandate as there's still a
massive embedded base of switches that can't support it and never will).

It may be incredibly frustrating, but there's plenty of money to be made
in prolonging the problem.

That was my thought as well. From what I heard last 50% of the calls are
fraud. That's a lot of money that they are collecting on origination. I
also saw this
https://www.multichannel.com/news/comcast-and-att-test-anti-robocalling-tech
and
did  a test. A client owned a Comcast number and had ATT. I set the CLI to
the Comcast number and it showed up on the ATT phone as I set it. You would
think if ATT had the tools in place at the very least it wouldn't display
the number.