nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN RPKI TAL deployment issues

From: "Anderson, Charles R" <cra () wpi edu>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2018 20:01:52 +0000

On Wed, Sep 26, 2018 at 02:18:43PM -0700, Mark Milhollan wrote:
On Tue, 25 Sep 2018, Job Snijders wrote:

We really need to bring it back down to "apt install rpki-cache-validator"

You say this as if no packager has a way to display and perhaps require
approval of the license nor any way to fetch something remote as part of
the installation process, e.g., the Microsoft "freely" supplied TTF
files ...
  [...]

I bet apt, dnf, pacman, pkg_add, yum, etc., do as well -- actually I
know some of those do.  Perhaps fetching as part of installing is less
desireable than already present at the outset, but it might appease ARIN
and be workable (or superior) for many.

rpm/yum/dnf do NOT have a way to allow the installation of packages to
interact with the user.  They specifically block this functionality
since it goes against their design of allowing non-interactive
installs.