nanog mailing list archives

Re: NAT on a Trident/Qumran(/or other?) equipped whitebox?

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2018 11:55:58 -0400

On 10/16/18 10:05 AM, James Bensley wrote:
NAT/PAT is an N:1 swapping (map) though so a state/translation table
is required to correctly "swap" back the return traffic. MPLS for
example is 1:1 mapping/action. NAT/PAT state tables tend to fill
quickly so to aid with this we also have timers to time out the
translations and free up space in the translation table, and also
track e.g. TCP RST or TCP FIN to remove entries from the table, so
it's not "just swapping".

I do wonder, though, if these popular switching ASICs are flexible enough in terms of their header matching and manipulation capabilities to handle packet mangling and forwarding in hardware for a given NAT state entry while punting anything that requires a state change to a CPU for inspection and state update.

You'd need a somewhat more powerful CPU than your typical L3 switch might have, but it seems like you'd still be able to offload the vast majority of the actual packet processing to hardware.

State table size (on a typical "switching" ASIC) might be an issue before you could actually fill up a 10Gbps+ link with typical SP multi-user traffic flows, I guess, and given that a moderate-spec PC can keep up with 10Gbps without much issue these days, maybe it's a non-starter.
--
Brandon Martin