nanog mailing list archives

Re: Oct. 3, 2018 EAS Presidential Alert test

From: "Aaron C. de Bruyn via NANOG" <nanog () nanog org>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 09:19:59 -0700

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 9:19 PM Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com> wrote:
A company already made a combination smoke alarm/weather radio.
Halo Smart Labs went out of business earlier this year.
https://www.smartthings.com/products/halo-smart-labs-halo-smoke-and-carbon-monoxide-alarm-plus-weather-alerts

*click*
*buy*

Thanks for the link. :)

A $120+ niche silicon valley product is great for the nerds. Whats the
business case for everyone else?

I know plenty of non-nerds that live in tornado and hurricane-prone
locations in the US that could also use a nice fire alarm/CO detector
in their house.

What's the business case for reaching 126 million households, with a
product that is afforable or already part of something they already have.

Sure--I totally agree.  But we don't build smoke detectors into our
cell phones because that's not a very good use case.  And I'm not
aware of weather alerts being broadcast to cell phones without having
an app installed, and it's unreliable.  (Although some already have
AM/FM radios in them...)

More people own Amazon smart speakers than NEST thermostats.  Amazon
product people have told me there is no demand for emergency alerts in its
Alexa product.

Likewise, I've asked Google developers.  They said the same thing about
adding emergency alerts to their Google assistant product.

Maybe so.  I never received a survey.  Sounds like they just aren't
interested in developing a 'boring' feature.

Fewer than 5% of households buy weather radios.

That's...surprising to me.  Any chance the majority of those 5% are in
hurricane or tornado areas?

*wonders what smoke alarm coverage is*

If you know that Google or Amazon plan to add emergency alerts to its
smart assistant products, that would be great news.  But so far, their
product people have been very clear, they see no business case for
supporting government emergency alerts on their "smart" products.

The only down-side I see to that is that my assistant products lose
power immediately when the grid fails.  My smoke alarm is wired, but
it has a battery backup.

Thanks for the info.

-A