nanog mailing list archives

Re: Oct. 3, 2018 EAS Presidential Alert test

From: Michael Thomas <mike () mtcc com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2018 16:53:52 -0700

On 10/05/2018 04:47 PM, Sean Donelan wrote:
On Thu, 4 Oct 2018, bzs () theworld com wrote:
Just to try to squeeze something worthwhile out of these reports...

I wonder, if there were a real alert, what the odds are that one
wouldn't hear about it in 1 minute, 5 minutes, etc even if they didn't
personally get it.

What happens when people don't get warnings?

Gatlinburg, TN - 2016 Wildfires - 14 fatalities

Northern California - 2017 Wildfires - 44 fatalities

Yes, neighbors alerted neighbors, local emergency officials drove through the streets and knocked on doors, radio and television stations broke into programming. It took hours, and eventually about 200,000 people were warned. But the wildfires moved faster than those other alerting methods.

Sometimes people are asleep (disasters don't always happen at 2pm on a work day), live alone, are not constantly watching TV or checking social media.

Its unlikely any system will ever be able to reach everyone. WEA reaches more people (about 70% of the national population), much faster (about 10-15 seconds), day and night (most people keep their mobile phones near them even while sleeping) than the existing warning systems. But they should still be used in combination, not exclusive.

Warning systems depend on communication service providers keeping their systems operating, i.e. cell towers with backup power, ISPs with diversity in their networks, etc.

If we ever get our earthquake early warning system, people definitely have incentive to pay attention since a minute before the incoming S waves ain't a lot of time, but could be a lifesaver.

Mike