nanog mailing list archives

Re: Email security: PGP/GPG & S/MIME vulnerability drop imminent

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 13:46:03 -0400

On May 15, 2018 at 05:34 rsk () gsp org (Rich Kulawiec) wrote:
On Mon, May 14, 2018 at 01:47:50PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
TL;DR = Don't use HTML email [snip]

That's enough right there.  HTML markup in email is used exclusively
by three kinds of people: (1) ignorant newbies who don't know any
better (2) ineducable morons who refuse to learn (3) spammers.
There are no exceptions.

Thirty years ago we thought graphical and even interactive email would
soon be the cat's pajamas (or possibly the bee's knees.)

Now we live in a world of seemingly ever-shrinking and pessimistic
expectations -- ok perhaps that's overstating a little -- largely due
to security considerations.

Don't do that, you'll poke your eye out!

Admittedly I never send HTML email and mostly find it annoying when I
receive it, tho not always.

We need to figure out how to have our cake and eat it too, "the k00l
kidz don't use html email" won't accomplish much except maybe among
the k00l kidz.

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () TheWorld com             | http://www.TheWorld.com