nanog mailing list archives

Re: Remote power cycle recommendations

From: Ben Cannon <ben () 6by7 net>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:54:37 -0700

Good point, and important reminder to segment!  None of this stuff is to be considered secure.  Don’t feel bad, I left
a box I’d just put a fresh slackware install on, this was perhaps 2000 or 1999 too keep in mind, anyway I left it
running with a public IP and no root password. For an hour.  Came back from lunch to finish the install and it was
already hacked.

-Ben.