nanog mailing list archives

RE: Proof of ownership; when someone demands you remove a prefix

From: "Naslund, Steve" <SNaslund () medline com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2018 22:22:23 +0000

That is about like saying email from you is the authoritative source of truth about you....unless your account is
hacked.  Sorry but in the real business world we give long standing customers the benefit of the doubt.  We all make
judgments every day in our real lives about who we believe and who we don't believe.  It is not rare to know who the
original contact for your customer is if you have any kind of provisioning records at all.  Nothing is automatic or a
set procedure in this circumstance.  It's about like proving a false credit card charge...does the claim make sense or
not.  At the end of the day the RIR has to determine who owns the account.  Right now, this minute you have to make the
call based on incomplete information about what is best for your business, your customer, the Internet community, and
your professional reputation.

Steven Naslund
Chicago IL