nanog mailing list archives

Re: California fires: smart speakers and emergency alerts

From: Nate Metheny <nate () santafe edu>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2018 11:30:39 -0600

No.

NWR requires a special radio receiver or scanner capable of picking up the signal. Broadcasts are found in the VHF public service band at these seven frequencies (MHz):

162.400
162.425
162.450
162.475
162.500
162.525
162.550

Although, you can buy a wind-up weather radio receiver for $20 that doesn't require batteries or a charger (really helpful when you have an actual emergency and can't rely on an iDevice, or a congested network, for your information).