nanog mailing list archives

Re: AS Numbers unused/sitting for long periods of time

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 22:40:09 -0500

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 5:46 PM, James Breeden <James () arenalgroup co> wrote:

I'm amazed at the number of AS numbers that are assigned, but not actively
being used.

'not actuvely being used' ... how would you (or anyone) know? what if they
were used only on some internal part of a large public network which never
leaked beyond their borders/uses? What if the ASN is used on a large
private network? (for instance.. where I know of several such things).

-chris
 (mark andrews makes this same, valid, point)