nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv4 smaller than /24 leasing?

From: valdis.kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2018 20:24:44 -0500

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 19:20:26 -0500, Justin Wilson said:
How is this a good use of resources when they have to justify 80% of a /24 in
which they only need half of? I have 5 ISPs I work with that have 300-500
customer and are using a /26 or smaller of IP space.  They can’t have true
redundancy they are able to manage because they can’t do BGP themselves.  So
they are tied to one ISP because thats where they get their space from.  Or,
going back to the original part of this thread, they lease from someone across
a tunnel.  Even then, they are still tied to someone.

So you CGNAT 500 users that would easily qualify you for a /22 into a ./26,
and then complain you can't get a /24.

"Doctor, it hurts when I do this" "Don't do that then",