nanog mailing list archives

Re: CenturyLink

From: Stephen Satchell <list () satchell net>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2018 07:00:52 -0800

On 12/29/18 6:51 AM, Matthew Huff wrote:
We have two stratum-1 servers synced with GPS and a PTP feed from a provider that also provides PTP to market data
systems, but we still have to monitor drift between system time and NIST time. Don't ask for the logic behind it,
it's a regulation, not a technical requirement.

Having been a participant on Standards Working Groups, I understand
completely.  Regulations, like Standards, need to be written to apply to
as wide a population as possible.  Do those regulations dictate how you
monitor drift?  For example, can you have a system (I would use CentOS)
that syncs to the appliance as well as NIST and your inside NTP sources,
and use ntpq(8) to read the drift directly?