nanog mailing list archives

Re: How to choose a transport(terrestrial/subsea)

From: Mark Tinka <mark.tinka () seacom mu>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2018 13:08:17 +0200

On 15/Dec/18 12:44, Mike Hammett wrote:

heh, cross connects are indeed a major issue. I have a need for > 10G
transport. My equipment supports 40G. The carriers aren't terribly
interested in doing 40G transport (at least not at a reasonable price,
one quote was over 4x a 10G). 100G-capable switches cost too much.
Equinix charges as much for a pair of cross connects as a 10G wave.
Carriers aren't likely to be interested in using bidi optics or
passive WDM to overcome the ridiculous cross connect charges.

This all complicates how one chooses transport. There's no easy path
forward.

I think the Juniper MX204 is not a bad way to deliver reasonably
inexpensive 100Gbps ports to customers. The box is reasonably priced and
is, essentially, an MPC7 in a pizza jacket.

If an operator is not overly religious about what box they hook
high-capacity customers (40Gbps+) into, the MX204 is a good way to start
offering affordable 40Gbps and 100Gbps services.

Mark.