nanog mailing list archives

Re: Unsolicited LinkedIn requests

From: "Mark Foster" <blakjak () blakjak net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2018 15:19:38 +1300

at 5:40 PM, John Levine <johnl () iecc com> wrote:

In article <Pine.LNX.4.64.1812111157380.6800 () whammy cluebyfour org> you
write:
Agreed, and I do get unsolicited Linkedin requests quite often.
Sometimes, this is clearly the result of someone scraping a list like
NANOG in an effort to drum up new business/contacts.  Those end up in
the
bitbucket.

When you turn down a connection there should be "I don't know this
person" which demotes them somehow.  I gather that with enough of
those, you can't do invites any more.

This was the case back when LinkedIn were actively enforcing their TOS.
LinkedIn was largely started as and designed to be a referral service.
As
far as I can tell though, they’ve been letting strangers freely connect
with one another for years now.

I've seen success with the 'I don't know this person' feedback system as
well, and encourage it's use.

Unfortunately for LinkedIn there's a whole breed of L.I.O.N. (LinkedIn
Open Networker) folks who believe in extending their social circle first
and breeding connections from there.

Somewhat akin to Twitter users who blindly follow everyone they come
across, mainly in the hope of a reciprocal follow and not because they
have any intent to interact with the person they're following, or even
ever read their timeline. It's exposure, exposure, exposure.

Mark.