nanog mailing list archives

Re: Should ISP block child pornography?

From: Max Tulyev <maxtul () netassist ua>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 21:23:55 +0200

Yes, in some countries (NOT in US, AFAIK) court can issue an order to
block IP/domain/URL.

If home operator of crime man is blocking the direct access - he have to
use TOR/VPN/... to avoid blocking (or may be you really believe he just
stop any tries to watch his lovely CP?)

If he use TOR/VPN/... to avoid blocking - the original home IP address
will be changed to the exit node of TOR/VPN - and we will lost any
chance to catch the crime man.

Is it clear?

11.12.18 21:06, John Lee пише:
It is my understanding that ISPs block IP addresses and domains under
court order now for copyright violations, criminal activity which would
include CP. They require a court order as they cannot ascertain if it is
CP or not, that is a Law Enforcement decision. The US Supreme Court
decision's was just being nude is not lewd, also with aging software
which can regress photos, LEOs in the US have to ascertain if this is CP
or photo shopped.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 12:54 PM Max Tulyev <maxtul () netassist ua
<mailto:maxtul () netassist ua>> wrote:

    ...and you will see the TOR exit nodes instead of crime home IP if
    censorship is implemented.

    11.12.18 19:35, Aaron1 пише:
    > ... The only thing I can think of is the idea that I’ve heard
    before is
    > the way to catch someone is to watch them well they are accessing, the
    > concept of honeypots comes to mind
    >
    > Aaron
    >
    > On Dec 11, 2018, at 10:43 AM, Larry Allen <mrallen1971 () gmail com
    <mailto:mrallen1971 () gmail com>
    > <mailto:mrallen1971 () gmail com <mailto:mrallen1971 () gmail com>>> wrote:
    >
    >> I can't imagine a single rational argument against this.
    >>
    >> On Tue, Dec 11, 2018, 10:56 William Anderson <neuro () well com
    <mailto:neuro () well com>
    >> <mailto:neuro () well com <mailto:neuro () well com>> wrote:
    >>
    >>     On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 at 06:08, Lotia, Pratik M
    >>     <Pratik.Lotia () charter com <mailto:Pratik.Lotia () charter com>
    <mailto:Pratik.Lotia () charter com <mailto:Pratik.Lotia () charter com>>>