nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is WHOIS going to go away?

From: bzs () theworld com
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2018 15:36:57 -0400

That just sounds like a minor change to fix this, a bug. No need to
burn down the house to kill a mosquito.

And my suggestion to move the publicly visible WHOIS information into
the DNS and thus completely under the domain owner's control would fix
this with minimal effort from the registrant.

I tend to doubt tho that this is a significant reason for the proposed
changes.

On April 20, 2018 at 16:20 rubensk () gmail com (Rubens Kuhl) wrote:

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 4:10 PM, <bzs () theworld com> wrote:

    On April 20, 2018 at 12:03 oscar.vives () gmail com (Tei) wrote:
     > Maybe a good balance for whois is to include organization information
     > so I know where a website is hosted, but not personal information, so
     > I can't show in their house and steal their dog.
     >
     > I feel uneasy about having my phone available to literally everyone on
     > the internet.

    There are various privacy options available when one registers a
    domain, generally a matter of checking a box and usually free.

Those privacy options work until one wants to transfer a domain to a different
registrar. Almost always that will imply in a brief removal of privacy, during
which an adversary (either a nation-state or some Sideshow Bob-type wacko) will
learn the true identity of the domain holder.

Rubens

--
        -Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die    | bzs () TheWorld com             | http://www.TheWorld.com