nanog mailing list archives

Re: Are any of you starting to get AI robocalls?

From: Brian Kantor <Brian () ampr org>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2018 07:55:36 -0700

On Thu, Apr 05, 2018 at 10:20:29AM -0400, William Herrin wrote:
For example, Vonage implementing Simultaneous Ring, you want to see
the original caller id on your cell phone, not your vonage number even
though Vonage is bridging the call to your cell phone.

More, the PBX may have trunks from multiple vendors and may use a
different outbound vendor than the call arrives on, so you can't even
reliably implement a rule that the outbound caller ID is rejected
unless there's an active inbound call with the same caller id.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

So the logical conclusion is that caller ID is useless as an
anti-vspam measure and the situation is hopeless, so the only
solution is to not personally answer the phone at all -- let voice
mail take a message.

This is what I have adopted on my personal landline.  With the
ringers disconnected.  Although I get probably a half-dozen incoming
calls a day, perhaps one a week will leave a message.  Most of those
messages are recorded announcements that started playing even before
the voicemail greeting finished.
        - Brian