nanog mailing list archives

Re: vFlow :: IPFIX, sFlow and Netflow collector

From: freedman () freedman net (Avi Freedman)
Date: Tue, 16 May 2017 16:40:03 -0400 (EDT)

"NANOG" <nanog-bounces () nanog org> wrote on 05/16/2017 03:34:39 PM:

Nice analysis of the current state of the art.

Thanks; of DIY for store-all approaches, at least :)

Commercial options is a different thread and I'm conflicted so shouldn't
try to summarize those...

And then, the biggest flow store I know of (1 or 2 carriers may want to
argue
but I haven't seen theirs) is at DISA for DoD - > a decade of un-sampled
flow
coming from SiLK.  All stored in hourly un-indexed files, essentially
nothing
but CLI to access,

FlowViewer provides a web GUI for invoking SiLK analysis tools. Provides
textual and graphical analysis with the ability to track filtered subsets
over time. Screenshots, etc.:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/flowviewer/

Sorry, forgot about flowviewer - I've never seen it in use and asked at a bunch
of Flocons - but it looks updated more recently than I had thought.

On a related topic, I'd love to see NANOGers and general netops and perf-minded
people go to Flocon (put on by CERT, and heavily but not exclusively SiLK- and
security-focused).

Cross-pollination of interests, tools, and techniques will help us all...

Joe

Thanks,

Avi