nanog mailing list archives

Re: Consumer networking head scratcher

From: Mark Wiater <mark.wiater () greybeam com>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2017 16:18:28 -0500

On 3/1/2017 11:28 AM, Ryan Pugatch wrote:
At random times, my Windows machines (Win 7 and Win 10, attached to the
network via WiFi, 5GHz) lose connectivity to the Internet.  They can
continue to access internal resources, such as the router's admin
interface.
To the point of Windows reporting no internet access, MS does two things to determine if the machine has internet access, as outlined here. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc766017(v=ws.10).aspx (I think that's still valid)

From a console, can these two machines do the http request and the dns lookup when they tell you they're offline? Can the other machines do these two things when the Windows machines can't or when the windows machines report offline?