nanog mailing list archives

Re: [NOC] ARIN contact needed: something bad happens with legacy IPv4 block's reverse delegations

From: Bjørn Mork <bjorn () mork no>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 17:42:11 +0100

William Herrin <bill () herrin us> writes:
On Fri, Mar 17, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Romeo Zwart <rz+nng () zwart com> wrote:
RIPE NCC have issued a statement about the issue here:

 https://www.ripe.net/ripe/mail/archives/dns-wg/2017-March/003394.html

Our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Hmm. That sounds like an ARIN-side bug too. ARIN's code responded to
corrupted data by zeroing out the data instead of using the last known good
data. That's awfully brittle for such a critical service.

Well, it was a nice smoke test of the "RDNS required" anti-feature.  All
of a sudden we couldn't even send email to ourselves, having smarthosts
in one of the affected zones. Nice.

Maybe time to re-evaluate the usefulness of that config...

Bjørn