nanog mailing list archives

Re: Multi-CDN Strategies

From: Danijel Starman <theghost101 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 10:53:49 +0100

On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Chris Woodfield <rekoil () semihuman com>
wrote:

I have some experience with this; a few things off the top of my head:

- It’s usually best to leverage some sort of “smart” DNS  to handle CNAME
distribution, giving you the ability to weight your CNAME distribution vs.
only using one CDN all the time, or prefer different CDNs in various global
regions. I’ve had decent experience with Dyn here, but Route53 has all the
features you’d want as well. If possible, write tooling towards your DNS
provider’s API to automate your failovers.

I've seen people do this in their code too, send approximate percentages of
requests to different providers but then you need to do a code push for
failover.