nanog mailing list archives

Re: Purchased IPv4 Woes

From: Chris Knipe <savage () savage za org>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 20:01:34 +0200

On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
wrote:

Den 12/03/2017 kl. 18.14 skrev Brielle Bruns:

http == TCP
DNS == (usually) UDP

Big difference here.  One requires a three way handshake tearup/teardown,
the other does not.

It is not an apples to apples comparison.

You can replicate (download) the whole WHOIS if you need to. There is also
no requirement that removal from reputation lists is instant. We would be
good if it happened just within a month or even half a year. The situation
now is however that you will never have it removed and many reputation
services will ignore you if try to contact them for manual removal.

At least in the RIPE managed space there IS a reliable way to know for
sure who owns a block. Can you know that the new owner is any better than
the old? Of course not, but that is true even for "fresh" address space.

I am not a fan of reputation services that blacklist forever. It is just
wrong and open for abuse of power. But not much I can do about that other
than not using their service.

Also, no reason why a UDP (or DNS based even) query can't be implemented to
facilitate reputation lookups for ASNs, or even ownership.

--

Regards,
Chris Knipe