nanog mailing list archives

Re: Point 2 point IPs between ASes

From: Job Snijders <job () instituut net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2017 20:36:43 +0000

On Tue, 27 Jun 2017 at 22:29, Krunal Shah <KShah () primustel ca> wrote:

Hello,

What subnet mask you are people using for point to point IPs between two
ASes? Specially with IPv6, We have a transit provider who wants us to use
/64 which does not make sense for this purpose. isn’t it recommended to use
/127 as per RFC 6164 like /30 and /31 are common for IPv4.

Yes, "longer than /64" subnets are fine for point2point. If the equipment
on both sides supports RFC 6164 I'd use a /127, otherwise a /126.

I was thinking, if someone is using RFC7404 for point to point IP between
two ASes and establish BGP over link local addresses. This way you have
your own IP space on your router and transit provider does not have to
allocate IP space for point to point interface between two ASes. In
traceroutes you would see only loopback IP address with GUA assigned from
your allocated routable address space. Remotely DDoS to this link isn’t
possible this way. Thoughts?

I wouldn't use link-local in context of Inter-Domain Routing. Too hard to
troubleshoot, many networks expect globally unique IP addresses for their
BGP neighbors, you want to be able to call a NOC and have the IPs function
as semaphore for the circuit ID.

What you could do is set aside a block which you blackhole or tarpit
through ingress ACLs, and use linknets from that "globally unusable ip
space". Some providers can offer you a router2router linknet from such
unreachable IP space so you don't have to set it apart.

Kind regards,

Job