nanog mailing list archives

Re: PCIe adapters supporting long distance 10GB fiber?

From: "Jörg Kost" <jk () ip-clear de>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 17:31:24 +0200

Nowadays its just an ixgbe-parameter:

parm: allow_unsupported_sfp:Allow unsupported and untested SFP+ modules on 82599-based adapters (uint)

Jörg

On 20 Jun 2017, at 17:26, Jim Shankland wrote:
The last I looked -- and it's been a few years, so it might no longer be true -- the check for this was in the driver software, which is open-sourced. The check was even guarded by an ifdef so that it was easily disabled. If you disabled the check, you got a hyperventilating syslog warning saying you were taking your life into your hands by using unapproved equipment. That warning could then be ignored while it receded into rotated and, eventually, expunged log history.

As I said, that was a few years ago, so would need to be reconfirmed.

Jim