nanog mailing list archives

Re: SoCal FIOS outage(?) / static IP readdressing

From: Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 11:42:09 -0500

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 8:37 AM, Jared Mauch <jared () puck nether net> wrote:

On Jan 4, 2017, at 7:54 AM, Baldur Norddahl <baldur.norddahl () gmail com>
wrote:

I solved this issue by making my own ISP.

I’ve been thinking of the same in my underserved area.  Labor is $5/foot
here and despite friends and colleagues telling me to move, it seems I have
a sub-60 month ROI (and sub-year for some areas I’ve modeled with modest
uptake rates of 15-20% where the other options are fixed wireless, Cellular
data or dial).

Hope is to do a presentation in the fall or next year with progress.  We
have areas around here where Comcast, (AT&T or Frontier) don’t even serve.
The municipality is off getting bids to build due to market failure by the
incumbents to invest. municipal fiber is nigh on illegal here in Michigan
but with no incumbent it is feasible and my hope is will lock out people
who are unwilling to invest despite their market cap.

and think about it, you could get ipv6 on your network... the OP still
doesn't have that native on his fios I bet.