nanog mailing list archives

Re: 48vDC Output UPS

From: Brandon Martin <lists.nanog () monmotha net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 21:18:37 -0500

On 12/29/2017 07:58 PM, Lewis,Mitchell T. wrote:
Greetings again,
I have been looking for a Rack Mount UPS that accepts AC power input but has 48vdc output(telco voltage). Anyone have
any recommendations?

Are you saying you want a 48V battery but AC in and AC to the devices being provided uninterruptible power, or do you want AC in and 48V DC out for both storage and devices being powered?

If the latter, any reason not to just run conventional telecom-style DC plant with a "rectifier", stack(s) of 48V worth of lead-acid batteries, and appropriate DC power distribution?

If the former, Tripp-Lite has several options that I like. You can get an "inverter/charger" (which is basically a UPS sans batteries) or many products in their SmartOnline (SU...) series have 48V batteries which can be external and (warranty/support issues aside as well as possible regulatory hassles) don't really care how big the battery bank is.

--
Brandon Martin