nanog mailing list archives

Re: Request for comment -- BCP38

From: Aled Morris <aledm () qix co uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 17:28:05 +0100

On 2016-09-26 15:12, Hugo Slabbert wrote:

If you have links from both ISP A and ISP B and decide to send traffic
out ISP A's link sourced from addresses ISP B allocated to you, ISP A
*should* drop that traffic on the floor.

This is a legitimate and interesting use case that is broken by BCP38.

I don't agree that this is legitimate.

Also we're talking about typical mom & pop home users here.

I'll sell you a multihoming capable service at a price that includes my
time in maintaining your bespoke configuration, but my off-the-shelf
home-user service is going to be BCP38.

Aled