nanog mailing list archives

Re: "Defensive" BGP hijacking?

From: Steve Atkins <steve () blighty com>
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2016 11:47:56 -0700

On Sep 13, 2016, at 12:22 AM, Bryant Townsend <bryant () backconnect com> wrote:

*Events that caused us to perform the BGP hijack*: After the DDoS attacks
subsided, the attackers started to harass us by calling in using spoofed
phone numbers. Curious to what this was all about, we fielded various calls
which allowed us to ascertain who was behind the attacks by correlating
e-mails with the information they provided over the phone. Throughout the
day and late into the night, these calls and threats continued to increase
in number. Throughout these calls we noticed an increasing trend of them
bringing up personal information of myself and employees. At this point I
personally filled a police report in preparation to a possible SWATing
attempt.  As they continued to harass our company, more and more red flags
indicated that I would soon be targeted. This was the point where I decided
I needed to go on the offensive to protect myself, my partner, visiting
family, and my employees.

I think you're saying that the BGP hijack wasn't done in as part of an attempt to
mitigate a DDoS, rather that you used the tools you had available
to go on the offensive in response to phone calls you received. Am I reading
that right?

Cheers,
  Steve